Links to websites providing cataloging resources and tools. For password, contact the Cataloging and Metadata Services Section at email@example.com.
Table of Contents
- Union Catalog of other institutions
- MARC 21 Guide and Code Lists
- Cataloging and Classification Tools
- Shelflisting / Cuttering Tools / Subject Cataloging Manual
- UP Diliman Cataloging Documents
- Cataloging Readings
1. Union Catalog of other institutions
- iLib – UP Integrated Library System
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (Gateway to the Library Catalogs)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (new interface)
- Z39.50 – Gateways – Library of Congress Page for gateway access to LC’s catalog and those at many other institutions
- Cornell University Catalog
- OCLC Classify – demo beta version overview
2. MARC 21 Guide and Code Lists
- Abbreviations of names of certain countries, the states of Australia and the United States, the provinces of Canada and the United States – Tag 260 (discontinue, use Tag 264), Link 1, Link 2
- MARC Code List for Countries – Tag 008
- MARC Code List for Geographic Areas – Tag 008
- MARC Code List for Languages (Alphabetically arranged) – Tag 008 and 041
- Filipiniana Language Code – Tag 008 and 041 – (by UPD Library)
Code List for Organizations
(Location Code – Tag 040)
- Search the Agency Code – MARC Code List for Organizations
- The Library of Congress does not provide search capabilities on codes for countries that have their own assignment agency. If there are no hits on your search, check the list of other assignment agencies to see if the country is listed there.
- Directory of MARC Organization Codes for University of the Philippines Libraries
RDA in MARC
- MARC Bibliographic to RDA Mapping (RDA Toolkit Appendix D.2)
- Relationship designators (RDA Toolkit Appendix I & J) (Tag 1xx $e or 7xx $e)
- MARC Relator Code – use only if there is no appropriate corresponding term available in RDA Toolkit Appendix I & J (Tag 1xx $e or 7xx $e)
- RDA: I.1 General Guidelines on Using Relationship Designators (RDA Toolkit)
- RDA Content Types – Term and Code List for RDA Content Types (Tag 336) (RDA Toolkit – Table 6.1)
- RDA Media Types – Term and Code List for RDA Media Types (Tag 337) (RDA Toolkit – Table 3.1)
- RDA Carrier Types – Term and Code List for RDA Carrier Types (Tag 338) (RDA Toolkit)
3. Cataloging and Classification Tools
- Library of Congress Linked Data Service – Authorities and Vocabularies
- Library of Congress Authorities
Authority Headings Search:
–Title authority headings
–Name authority headings
–Subject authority headings
For password, contact the Cataloging and Metadata Services Section.
- Library of Congress Classcification (LCC) – in PDF Files (March 2017)
- Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) – in PDF Files
- RDA Toolkit (subscription) – Overview
For password, contact the Cataloging and Metadata Services Section.
(Not updated, November 2008-February 2009 version, Fulltext, Free Online)
http://www.rdatoolkit.org/constituencydraft (viewed 20 May 2013)
- OCLC Classify – Classify is a project of OCLC Research (2008-2018) – Classify is a FRBR-based prototype designed to support the assignment of classification numbers and subject headings for books, DVDs, CDs, and other types of materials.
4. Shelflisting / Cuttering Tools / Subject Cataloging Manual
- LC Cutter Table – LC Shelflisting G63
- Translation Table (2013) – LC Shelflisting G150 – OLD Translation Table (Discontinued)
- Biography Table – LC Shelflisting G30
- Artists – Bibiography Table – Table N6 and N7 – LC Shelflisting G330
- Understanding Call Numbers
- List of Articles (Non-filing characters) – MARC 21 Format for Bibliographic Data, Appendix F, Initial Definite and Indefinite Articles
- Regions and Countries Table – Geographic Tables Based on Cutter Numbers – LC Shelflisting G300, YUL Link
- U.S. States and Canadian Provinces Table – Geographic Tables Based on Cutter Numbers – LC Shelflsting G302
- Geographic Cutter Numbers Tables G1548 – G9804 – for Cartographic Materials
- Library of Congress Classification and Shelflisting Manual – updated as of 05 February 2015
- LC Classification and Shelflisting Manual Instruction Sheets – updated as of 04 June 2013.
- Basic Subject Cataloging using LCSH – Lectures from LC, UC SD
5. UP Diliman Cataloging Documents
Provides access to procedures that support specific cataloging workflows.
- UPD Cataloging Output – up.edu.ph account required to view and edit.
- UPRCEPS for Monograph as of 2015
- Flowchart Adaptation
- Flowchart Duplicate
- Flowchart F
- Flowchart Original
- UPIANA Classification Scheme (Class LG) (2018 update) for University of the Philippines publications, including UP theses and dissertations
- UPIANA Classification Scheme (Class LG) (1982 update)
- Academic Programs of the U.P. System specifying Graduate degrees offered (UPIANA Table I) (2000 update) – use for theses and dissertations to arrange according to degree program
- Philippine Literature Classification Scheme (Class PL, PQ, PS) for Philippine literature in English and Spanish, including the vernacular literary materials – use Philippine Literature Notation Scheme (by UPD Library)
- Filipiniana subjects – consult the Filipiniana Subject Authority File (by UPD Library)
- Philippine History and Filipiniana individual biography and memoirs – consult the Proposed Expansion of the Library of Congress Schedule DS651 to DS689 for Philippine History (by Verna Lee, 1989)
- Guidelines on Subject Access to Individual Works of Fiction, Drama, etc. – American Library Association, 2000.
- Accession Number Pattern and List of Catalogers 2021 (UP Diliman)
- Accessioning of eBooks (draft)
- Book preparation
- UPD Guide to MARC Field Tags for Monographs 2011 (discontinued February 2015, use UPRCEPS for Monograph)
- UPD Guidelines for Cataloging eBooks 2011version 2.0, AACR2R
- UPD Guidelines for Cataloging eBooks 2016, RDA
- Sample RDA MARC record for Thesis 2018
6. Cataloging Readings
Catalog it! a guide to cataloging school library materials / Allison G. Kaplan. 2nd ed. Worthington, Ohio : Linworth Pub., 2006. Retrieved from Gale Virtual Reference Library. (On campus access)
Introducing RDA a guide to the basics / Chris Oliver. Chicago : American Library Association, 2010. Retrieved from iG Publishing. (On campus access)
Introduction to controlled vocabularies: terminology for art, architecture, and other cultural works / Patricia Harpring. Los Angeles, California : Getty Research Institute, 2010. Retrieved from Google Books, 16 June 2015.
Introduction to metadata / edited by Murtha Baca. Los Angeles, California : Getty Research Institute, 2008. Retrieved from Google Books, 16 June 2015.
Understanding MARC bibliographic: machine-readable cataloging / B. Furrie. 7th ed. Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, Cataloging Distribution Service, in collaboration with Follett Software Company, 2003. Retrieved from Hathi Trust Digital Library, 16 June 2015.
Last updated: 25 January 2021