- OpenAthens Features
- Ways to Access OpenAthens
- Common Problems and Troubleshooting
Hello and welcome to “Learning is Easy @ Your Library”!
Mabuhay! This video will tell you how to access electronic resources remotely via OpenAthens. This video is brought to you by your friendly Reference Librarians at the Information Services and Instruction Section of the UP Diliman University Library.
In line with its mission to provide the best possible access to information, the University Library offers access to electronic resources outside the university campus online using the remote access protocol OpenAthens. OpenAthens is an identity and access management service.
We will be discussing its features, way to access, and troubleshooting.
- First, single sign-on creates a session that allows the end user to move from resource to resource without the need to enter their credentials.
- Second, online access allows access to all linked electronic resources online, anytime, anywhere.
- Third [feature], federated search allows searching various electronic resources all at once using a single interface.
- Fourth, access management allows profile-based access and control of electronic resources.
Ways to access OpenAthens
OpenAthens can be accessed via homepage search bar powered by EBSCO Discovery Service or EDS, Gmail App Launcher accessible via UP Mail, MyAthens web portal, or [within a] electronic resource.
To access OpenAthens via EDS,
- Visit the MainLib homepage and scroll down to the search bar.
- Insert the keyword or keywords for your search.
- Select “Subscribed e-Resources” from the drop-down box and click “Search”.
- Once the system recognizes that your IP address is outside the UP Diliman campus, it will automatically show a banner telling you to log in for full access at the top of the page. Click the banner. This will take you to a sign-in page where you will be asked to log using your UP webmail.
To access OpenAthens via Gmail App Launcher,
- Log into your UP Mail at https://mail.up.edu.ph.
- In the upper right, click the app launcher, scroll down, and click “OpenAthens”.
- Choose your UP Webmail account.
- Click “Login to MyAthens”.
- After a successful login, you will be taken to the MyAthens interface where you will see a list of all subscribed e-resources.
To access OpenAthens via MyAthens web portal,
- Visit https://my.openathens.net/.
- Under “Find your institution”, search for “University of the Philippines Diliman” or just “Diliman”.
- Click, “University of the Philippines Diliman”.
- Choose to sign in via UP Webmail.
- Enter a keyword and select desired database.
Lastly, to access OpenAthens via [a] subscribed e-resource.
- Open the resource you want to access and look for “Access via your institution”.
- Look for “University of the Philippines Diliman” and click [it]. Choose to sign in via UP Webmail.
- If you have multiple google accounts logged into your browser, choose your UP Mail account when prompted.
Common problems and troubleshooting
OpenAthens does not appear in the Google App Launcher in UP Mail and/or is not available when you sign in using UP Webmail via MyAthens web portal.
- This usually happens when the UP Mail account in question is not under UP Diliman’s organizational unit.
- To fix this, send an email about the error to the Reference Librarians at email@example.com and include the following:
- first name;
- last name;
- UP Mail address; [and]
- attached copy of either Form 5 for UP students or copy of appointment for UP faculty and for staff.
- We will forward this information to the Computer Center for verification and resolution.
You cannot access or do not have a UP Mail account.
- This usually happens when: (1) you are a new student, faculty, or staff; or (2) your UP Mail account gets deactivated.
- To fix this, send your request to the UP [Computer Center] at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- For more information, please visit https://itdc.up.edu.ph/uis/the-up-mail.
Now that you have reached the end of the video, please note that all information contained in this presentation is accessible via our home page https://mainlib.upd.edu.ph.
For further assistance or additional concerns, you may also send us an email via firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and YouTube via our handle @UPDLibrary.
Good luck on your research! Remember, here at the University Library, we are Discovering Connections, Connecting Discoveries. Stay safe!